Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Trenton kind of Christmas...

It's a holiday tradition...which has become the highlight of my Christmas.

When our kids were little we would take them to the dollar store at Town East each Christmas and let them pick out Christmas gifts for Grannie and Papaw, Uncle Bob and Cassandra and Ronnie and me. Ronnie would take in one child to shop and then I would take in the other child to shop. After that we would switch and take the other child in to shop for the other parent. Sounds confusing, I know, but we had it down to a science and the kids left the store with bags full of gifts for less than $20. They loved shopping for their own personal gift-giving and we always got a kick out of the gift we received. Many of mine remain on display in my curio cabinet to this day.

Kristin has continued that tradition with Trenton. Each holiday season she takes him to a dollar store and allows him to pick out a gift for each of us. In the past gifts have ranged everywhere from birdseed to puzzle books. He always has a rationale for his gifts...that's what makes them so funny. This year I joined in on the other end and took him shopping for mommy since he can't buy for her when she is with him.

For some reason, my gifts always seem to make sense. He really knows me and the things that I do/enjoy. In the past I have gotten things like a crossword puzzle book (he's seen me working sudoku puzzles), Christmas decorations (I love for each room of the house to have at least a little Christmas decoration) and a stuffed Christmas reindeer that worked its way into hanging from a lamp this year. One year I got cereal bowls with built in straws that we still use to this day. Yes, my gifts seem to always make sense. Others, not so much.

Ryan has been the recipient of a bag of birdseed and reindeer antlers. Ronnie once received a ceramic Indian style vase that could easily serve as a bong. Kristin gets to enjoy his rationale when he is making his purchases but then neither can remember what he had in mind at the time so it makes it that much funnier.

This year was no exception...except that most of the gifts...most...made more sense. I offer the following into evidence...

Uncle Ryan, a new home owner, received gardening gloves.


Papaw, who writes everything down, received a spiral notebook.


Scott,who knows why, received a bag of fish shaped chip clips.


Richard received a pair of silver sunglasses. His sunglasses from Trenton last year were blue. What is it with Richard needing sunglasses?


I received a green nylon waterproof bag with an outside pocket that is a perfect fit for my new Kindle reader.

Kristin received a plastic wineglass with a Christmas tree decoration (because she likes Christmas trees) and a ceramic dog with a blue Christmas hat (because blue is her favorite color).


Ronnie received a plastic ax. The Viking kind of ax that you would use if you pillage and plunder. Not sure he's going to be pillaging and plundering any time soon but he is certainly prepared if he decides to do so.


As Trenton grows older and his gifts begin to make more sense I am left to wonder how Carter will see us when he goes Christmas shopping????

No comments: