Thursday, April 15, 2010

Them's Fightin' Words...

Let me start by saying, "I love, Love, LOVE my job!" After 30 years in education I am in a position that I can name names and see faces of the kids that I am making a difference for. I helped Preston and Tony complete graduation requirements last week. Today I picked up two new students, Carmen and Taylor.

Carmen is a self-motivated single mother of a three year old. She is finishing her education in order to provide better for herself and her daughter. She is delightful to work with and so very appreciative. She does, however, have a problem with reading comprehension. That is why I am working with her. I started working with her on economics today. She had already begun the course, but we cranked it up and produced a lot of work today. We should finish the course by next Tuesday and will start government on Wednesday.

Taylor is a different story. He is a very bright young man who has gotten himself into some legal problems. From what I have been told, that is totally understandable. Cutting to the chase...his mother is a first class BITCH. Apparently she verbally kicks him in the crotch every chance she gets. Look, I understand being frustrated with your kid...even angry. I can't and won't ever understand undermining their efforts to better themselves. Taylor wants to graduate in May. He has to finish horticulture, economics and government. His mother is telling him, "You can't do it. You won't do it. You'll never make it..." She is a dream crusher. She is a leech. She is a bitch. I want to punch her in the face and I have never hit another person in anger in my life...okay, I spanked my kids,and I was probably angry at the time, but that doesn't count.

When I heard about Taylor's situation today, I got really pissed off. How dare she? It became my personal challenge to prove her wrong. I want Taylor to graduate so he can get out of that poisonous household. I want him to follow his dream...going to community college and working so that he can afford to finish his degree. I want him to SUCCEED beyond all of our wildest imaginings. I want Taylor to be able to say, "I told you so," and then turn and walk away to a better life.

I am grateful today. Grateful for the support I had growing up. Grateful for the sacrifices that were made so that I could get an education, so that I would be able to support myself as an adult should the need arise to do so, grateful for a nagging mother who kept me motivated, grateful for the economic sacrifices my dad made so that I could have all of my needs, and many of my wants, filled. Grateful that I am in a position to be able to physically observe the difference I am making. Grateful for the opportunity to get up each morning, go to work, and leave at the end of the day with a smile on my face.

I am blessed beyond all reason. I want to be a blessing to Carmen and Taylor and whomever comes my way next. Thank you, God, for this opportunity!

No comments: