Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thank you, Quest...

As most/all of you know, I retired in May 2008 after thirty years in education. I taught middle school in Dallas for two years. I taught 6th grade one year at a private Christian school and then I taught high school for ten years. After that, I moved into educational administration. I spent the next sixteen years as a campus level administrator. When I retired I was quite literally burned out. I spent so much time in meetings, paperwork, working with data, planning for testing, testing, etc., that I simply lost my passion for education. It was a job.

Now, however, I have my passion back. Shortly after I retired I decided I still wanted to work and so, going with what I know, I returned to the classroom. Teaching. My first love. Shortly after I started subbing I got a call to sub at the alternative school in Rockwall. That one time is all it took. I work almost exclusively at the alternative school. Troubled kids...or kids in trouble. Doesn't matter. Some are 16 and some are 20. Doesn't matter. What matters is that for the first time in a long time I feel that I am making a difference. I work mostly one-on-one with young men and women who are anywhere from 1/2 to 2 credits short of graduation. My job...get them through by May. I have one 20 year old that I have gotten through Economics, English IV and now, we will finish his last course, government, at the end of this week. Woohoo! Way to go, Tony! I'm so very proud of you!! Another student that I began working with this week, Julio, is in a credit recovery program. I worked with him one day and we finished five units and the first semester of World Geography. He was so sweet and so appreciative. It doesn't take much of that to stroke your ego which in turn fuels your passion. I think, "If I wasn't here...making time for these kids...how would their lives be different?" I wonder how mine would be different as well. It's good to have my passion back!

The principal at the alternative school, which is called Quest, is a jewel. She and I worked together when we both taught high school in Rockwall. Many years ago. She is so good to me...maybe too good to me. She treats me as a peer rather than as a "lowly temporary employee." She talks to me about things that matter. She gives me all the leeway that I could possibly want in my working situation. This week, when my personal problems with my dad surfaced, Sherry didn't ask any questions other than to ask what I needed. I was nearly two hours late to work, it was obvious from my swollen eyes that I had been crying, and I was pretty shaken. When I walked in Sherry simply took me into her office, closed the door, sat beside me and asked, "What can I do to help you?" She listened to my brief description of the morning. She asked if I needed to go home. More importantly, when I said, "Sherry, I need this. I need to be here. I need to be doing something productive," she trusted me. She knew that regardless of my personal issues I would not do anything to have a negative impact on the students. I appreciate her trust.

Apparently I am one of those people who wears my feelings on my face. I am usually a happy, smiling person who greets everyone with a grin and engages them in conversation. I am a people person. I love people. Tuesday, it must have been apparent that I wasn't having the best of days. Numerous people stopped me to ask if I was okay and wouldn't take the generic, "I'm fine," as a final answer. They care about me. They reached out to me. They hugged me. They checked on me all day. They are precious.

So, for my Quest family I made a cake. Food is always a good way to say, "Thank you." This was my second attempt at working with fondant and it turned out better than the first. Not perfect, but better. At least this time the fondant covered the whole cake ::snicker:: I had fun making it and hopefully they will have fun eating it. Quest family...I love you. Thanks for welcoming me into your inner circle and letting me share the passion of teaching and the joy of your friendship.

Oh, yeah. Enjoy the cake!!

Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake with Brownie piping and Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

No comments: