Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Final Straw...the Sequel

My last post, The Final Straw, detailed my dad's struggle with alcoholism and how we were struggling with it as a family. On Tuesday he announced his intentions to move out since we wouldn't let him drink. This was after a five day drunken binge. I finally told him, "Do it. You will not continue to drink and live here. I can't handle it anymore." Thus the morning ended in anger, frustration and tears.

Scene 2: Ronnie had ball games to call Tuesday afternoon/evening and I had dinner plans with friends. In the meantime, I went shopping after work...partly because there were things I needed...partly to avoid going home. I just didn't want to deal with Daddy after the morning that we'd had. When I got home about 8:00 Daddy came out of his trailer and met me at my car. He said, "Sis, can I stay if I make some changes?" Keep in mind that moving out was HIS idea...not mine. I said, "Sure, under the following conditions...there will be no more drinking. Not here. Not at a restaurant. Not anywhere at any time. Period. Secondly, you will go to Alcoholics Anonymous to get help because you can't do it alone and apparently we are not enough help for you." Imagine my shock and surprise when he said, "Okay." And to totally knock me off my feet he said, "And I won't spend the night in the trailer anymore. I will come in the house to sleep."

I told Daddy that I would go to AA with him...at least the first time. How does someone work and go to AA? The meetings in Rockwall are at 2:00 p.m. every day. That's the ONLY time. Guess I will take a day off and take my Dad to AA next week. It's a start. Wish us well and pray for us. This is a battle he will fight every day for the rest of his life. If he is honest and gives it his best Ronnie and I will be right there fighting with him and for him. The light at the end of the tunnel is a pinpoint...but it's a light!

No comments: