Friday, September 9, 2011

A little of this & a little of that...

What should one do when they awaken at 4:00 a.m. and go can't go back to sleep? Why, update the old blog, of course!

Since last we chatted...well, I blogged and you read, I have returned to work part time. Okay...I worked every day this week, but that was an exception! Actually, I worked one day the first week, one day the second week, Monday was a holiday, and I have worked all four of the remaining days this week. Well, it's EARLY on Friday morning and technically I haven't worked it yet, but I am scheduled to do so. I have worked the bulk of my days at Shannon Elementary, which is fine with me. I love the staff there and it's close to home so...why not? My only complaint is that when I have time away from kids...say, like summer vacation...and then go back to work I tend to get sick right away. Those little buggers and their nasty little germs! Woke up this morning with the sore throat from Hades!! Praying it's not strep. That's going around (in fact, one of the teachers I subbed two days for had it!). I understand it is a particularly nasty strain of strep. My son-in-law has it as well. Been there, done that, not interested in going there again!

Initially I was concerned about how my ankle would hold up to working all day. I have my answer and...it's not a particularly encouraging one. It swells like a demon, hurts like heck, and by the end of the day I'm limping like Festus on Gunsmoke (yeah, don't pretend that you're too young to know who that is!). I come home, settle into my recliner with a glass of wine and promptly fall soundly asleep waking only when my wine is no longer chilled...but I drink it anyway!

In addition to returning to work, I am hard at work trying to get my wine business off the ground. I have my TTB (federal) permit as of August 25th and am awaiting word on my TABC (state) permit. I am also trying to get my labels approved by TTB but that online page isn't working at the moment. They are estimating that it takes 38 days for label approval. Once all that is accomplished I am a legitimate business enterprise! Yay!!! In the meantime I am conducting wine tastings and sharing my business card and beverages at every opportunity I get. Apparently I am a popular sub. For some reason the teachers like having me in their classroom. They say I know what I'm doing. Lol! I should hope so. After 30 years in education...but, that is a digression best saved for some other time. Anyhoo...when they ask me to leave my phone number so that they can call me directly...I whip out a Once Upon A Vine business card and write my cell number on it. A subtle way to introduce them to OUAV! Okay, maybe it's not so subtle...but it's working.

I am constantly brewing and bottling so that when I get my permits I have an inventory and can really start promoting the business. There is a large wine tasting (dubbed Sip 'n Suds) scheduled for October on the roof of a loft in Deep Ellum. The hostess makes and sells high end soaps...thus the name Sip 'n Suds. I'm really looking forward to that tasting. I think it will be great fun!

I have also formed a Bunco group that will meet once a month to play Bunco. What a fun group!! I am the only one who already knew everyone else, but these ladies got together and it was like we had all known each other forever! They were were teasing each other, sharing personal stories and just generally having a great time together. ::insert pat on the back here:: I picked the membership well even if I do have to say so myself! Of course, it probably didn't hurt that one of the ladies brought her margarita machine as her part of the pot luck!!!

Well, my friends, it is nearing 6:00 a.m. Time for me to "get up" and get dressed for work. As of 3:45 today it will officially be my weekend. Can't wait!!

Till next time...keep on keeping on!~carol

No comments: