Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Let the games begin...

Anyone who knows me at all also knows that I adore being surrounded by the people I care most about in life. Even acquaintances take on a new and treasured place in my heart the more time I spend with them. That being said, I have begun what I hope will continue as a monthly tradition in our home...GAME NIGHT!! Why, you may wonder? What's the big deal?? Let me tell you...we had game night last Friday night. I invited my daughter and son-in-law (and youngest grandson though he would be clueless about what was going on...just joyful being held and loved on). I invited "my guys," Ryan and Richard, I invited my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, Virgil and Carlene. It was a pot luck meal where I provided huge pots of taco soup and tortilla soup along with guacamole and chips and margaritas. The guys brought queso and cookies. Virgil and Carlene brought...queso and cookies! ::chuckle:: So much for the "variety" of pot luck...but it won't stop us from doing it again. Kristin and Scott were to bring dessert...but as luck would have it...Kristin came down with a pretty debilitating virus that day (which she has graciously shared with her husband...Jesus loves it when we share...and one of those two shared it with my beloved older grandson, Trenton). I digress (insert sad, pouty face here).

Back to game night. We started eating about 6:00 p.m. and we continued eating throughout the night. I LOVE to eat!! We also had a few "adult beverages"...some of us more than others...and we had an absolute bellyfull of laughs. I literally laughed until I thought I might throw up. We played Wii games, we had a poker/board game table, and the guys brought their PS2 with kareoke (I'm not sure how to spell that...but it's where you sing along with the words and music and earn points). Some in the group were like the bad....really baaadddd...auditions for American Idol (Carlene and Carol) and some were pretty doggone good (Ryan and Richard) and some wouldn't sing in front of others if their lives depended on it (Ronnie and Virgil).

I must admit that competitiveness reared it's ugly head a time or two but we just refilled the margarita glasses and moved on....until 2:00 a.m. In one six hour span we bowled, played tennis, played baseball, rode in cow races, sang, ate, had the "Last Word" (board game...bad pun intended), golfed and whatever else we played. More importantly...we made memories. We share good times, good food, and good fellowship. We built relationships and we walked away from the evening loving each other a little more...treasuring the blessings of our relationships.

Back to my original statement...I want this to be a monthly commitment on my part. I don't want to end up fifteen or twenty years down the road and "wish" that my grandsons knew me or that my children had time for me. I don't want my husband to regret not having a relationship with his brother like my regrets over my brother. Time costs nothing and it is an investment in a lifetime. How much better can it get?!

For a glimpse of what you might have missed...see slide show above! Oh, hell yes...I take photos. Hey, I'm getting older. My retirement income might not be enough. I might need some blackmail photos to "tide me over" on those short months ::huge, sinister smile accompanied by evil laugh::

No comments: