Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The child in me...

My inner child has strep. I got up Tuesday morning feeling dizzy and a bit nauseated along with tired to the core of my being. I finally lay down for a nap and after waking myself up snoring a half dozen times...I got up. I actually felt better. In the afternoon I felt good enough to go outside and begin painting the trim on our house...something that has needed to be done for about three years! I came in...took a shower...and started feeling like CRAP. During the day I had begun to develop a sore throat, so finally I looked at my throat in the mirror. Much to my horror, right there in the reflection in front of me, were the dreaded "cotton patches" on my tonsils. I knew what that meant. My mom always said, "Cotton on the tonsils means strep throat." Still...

After I left my half day teaching assignment today...(yes, I went to work. Don't judge me! Just once my mom might be wrong...though not likely!)...I ran by Dr. S's office for a throat swab. Diagnosis..."classic case of strep."

If there is a positive side to this it may be that I will be more compassionate in the future. I had forgotten what it felt like to have strep (and the doctor assured me that it is a bit different for adults since we don't normally run a high temp with strep). I feel like "poo poo." My shoulders and neck hurt...my throat hurts...I have a headache...I'm soooo tired...and I just feel like crap in general. The doc says those are all classic symptoms of strep so she wasn't at all surprised that the culture immediately gave a positive reading. She says some adults don't even have a sore throat with strep. Guess I'm just lucky!

I was ready to blame all of this discomfort on the munchkins I work with daily until...

It seems that the day before my trials began my beloved (?) husband woke up feeling light headed with a pretty bad headache. He took it easy through the day and downed a dozen or so tylenol. Hhmmmm...I met him at the door tonight and looked at his throat. Guess what??? There they were...giving away his guilt...tiny little patches at the back of his throat! Damn that man...I've told him not to breathe on me at night!!! Somehow there is no consolation in knowing that he must feel as badly as I do.

No comments: