Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's a BROTHER!

I got the sweetest and most welcome phone call this afternoon. When I answered my cell phone it was my little buddy, Trenton, (my bestest friend) and he said, "Guess what, Nana. I'm having a brother!" This was particularly good news since Trenton had already informed Nana and Popaw last weekend that if the baby is a girl he is giving her to us. I love my grandkids but I'm thinking I'm a bit too old and too tired to start over with diapers, formula, sleepless nights, colic....but I digress. While I'm certain that we will get numerous chances to keep "the kids," I am fairly certain that Kristin and Scott would not just give away their child....right? Right?

Trenton is very excited about the prospect of having a sibling. I think he believes his brother will enter this world already walking, talking and ready to play. I'm not sure that he understands yet that this scrawny little scrunchy faced sibling will demand mommy's and Scott's time and attention and that he, Trenton, really won't be getting anything out of this new arrangement for quite some time. "What's in it for me?" comes to mind.

Me? I feel blessed. Whether this baby turned out to be a boy or a girl was inconsequential to me. I just want to rejoice in the blessings of a healthy grandchild to love, hold, cuddle and share with Trenton. I'm already looking forward to the holidays and the sounds and smells an infant brings into a holiday home. Well....most of the sounds and smells, anyway.

2 comments:

KRiSTiN said...

hey, we might have been willing to give away a baby girl. i remember being a teenage girl. i can't imagine that's much fun on the other side...

Carol said...

Trust me, it wasn't. But, you turned out okay and I will get to giggle my way through your years as "the mom of a teenage child"...not once, but twice! ::snicker::