Friday, April 27, 2012

Relay for LIFE...

Tonight I get the honor...and yes, I do consider it an honor...to walk in the Rockwall Relay for Life supporting one of my teacher friends, Leigh Plagens. When I first began my career teaching at Rockwall High School Leigh was already a veteran there. She quickly became a friend and a mentor and to this day I still treasure her friendship. After I left RHS to begin a career in educational administration, I lost consistent contact with my friends there, but they have never been far from my heart. A couple of years ago I learned that Leigh had been diagnosed with breast cancer. I knew...just KNEW...that she would come out the winner in that battle. Leigh is a fighter...a strong spirit and a compassionate heart. I've seen Leigh a couple of times over the last year or so and have kept up with her fight. She has NEVER been anything but 100% positive. So it is with pride, and not just a little bit of thankfulness, that I will be be on 'team Plagens' tonight...sharing the joy and celebration of a battle won. Not all news on that front is good news. However, as Leigh says, "Cancer is a word, not a sentence." Leigh's precious husband, Clarence, is fighting his own battle against cancer. He is not doing as well...but this race is not yet run. So while celebrating Leigh's victory, I will be walking and praying...asking God to reach out to this wonderful man and extend His healing hand so that Clarence and Leigh can continue being a joy to their friends and family. As I've had an opportunity to think about things over the last month or so, I recall all of my friends and family who have been touched by the ugliness and scariness of cancer. I'm sure that I will fail to list someone here...not because they aren't important to me, but because I have the memory of a gnat, and because I'm on steroids again for poison ivy and they make me crazy! Kristin Durbin: my daughter. Diagnosed with uterine cancer at 24 years old. I remember the emptiness I felt at hearing her say, "Mom, two of the tumors are malignant." I felt like a sleep-walker. I can only imagine how she felt. I am proud to say that today Kristin is perfectly healthy and has even blessed us with another grandson since her healing. For privacy reasons I will now only use first names: Judy: A friend. Diagnosed with breast cancer about 5 years ago. Fought and WON her battle. Pat: A friend. Diagnosed with colon cancer about 5 years ago. Fought and WON her battle. Mary: My Aunt. Diagnosed with colon cancer. Fought and lost her battle. Kim: My cousin's daughter. Diagnosed with breast cancer. Fought and lost her battle. There are others. Friends and spouses of co-workers. Neighbors. Some win their battle and others, sadly, do not. Cancer is an ugly, dreaded, horrific disease that, pardon me, scares the hell out of you. But, as my friend Leigh says, it is a word. It is no longer necessarily the death sentence it once was. So, if you are so inclined, reflect on those you care about who have been touched by cancer. Send up an extra prayer on their behalf. Give them and extra hug. Thank God for letting them be a part of your life. I know I do.

No comments: