Friday, July 1, 2011

It's the little things...

Sometimes the smallest of things...things most of us take for granted when we have them...can make the biggest of differences. I'll explain.

Yesterday I had an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon. He was very pleased with...EVERYTHING! My xrays looked good. I had more mobility and flexibility in my ankle than he thought I would have. I can wean myself off the fracture book within two weeks and don't have to wear it at home anymore. All I have to wear is a small ankle brace. I go back in three weeks and the doctor expects me to be walking on my own by then. But the best news of all...I can drive now!! I immediately drove home from the doctor's office. It was great. With the ability to drive comes freedom and independence. Something that I have not had for nine weeks. Plus...I get to drive my new car...one I have already made two payments on! LOL!!

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate my husband so very much. He took great care of me and took me everywhere I needed to go, but I had to ask him to take me places and I felt like a burden...my doing...not his. Driving represents the ultimate freedom. I can go where I want to go when I want to go and don't have to be concerned that someone is tired or has other things to do but is humoring me. Awesomeness!!

I knew I was better. On this last vacation I could actually use my crutch and get into the RV without having to sit on my butt and drag myself up the stairs. I'm so glad that my doctor order physical therapy for me because I truly believe that I would not be this far along without that help. Dr. Z has cautioned me that I will have relapses...that my ankle and foot will swell and be stiff for up to a year. At least I know what I am looking forward to. And guess who is driving herself to her PT appointment next Tuesday! Life is good.