Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Stick a fork in me, I'm done...

My how the last four weeks have flown. I agreed to teach summer school in Rockwall. I was assigned to teach 7th grade Texas history while my teaching partner, Stacey Hatten, taught English. I swear we just started, but today was our last day with students. I had forgotten how much I adore teaching. These kids, summer school kids, were not there to get ahead or because they wanted to be. They were there because they failed. Yet, despite it all, they performed for us. Not just performed...they did quite well. Summer school is "project based management" which means that they are taught the material they need to apply the information and complete a major project which is then presented before a panel. I taught about the history and development of Texas, how immigration affects Texas and how the geography of our state impacts our economic base. Our students then had to take that information, form their own communities, write their own constitution, develop their own immigration policy, select a location for their community, develop an economic base and select symbols that represented their community. Tall order of business but they came through.I was very proud of them and in four short weeks developed an attachment for some of those little buggers. I am, however, ready for a break. Shreveport...here I come.

No comments: