Sunday, November 29, 2009

Decking the halls!!

I literally spent all day today working on Christmas preparations. First, I bought ink and photo paper and began printing the Christmas cards that my creative/genius daughter, Kristin, showed me how to make. Amazing in it's simplicity. And quite cute, too, even if I do have to say so myself. Thank you, Kristin.

Printing the cards was sporadic. In between giving the printer commands to print four or five cards at a time (in case I ran out of ink it wouldn't ruin a ton of paper!), I changed all the bed linens, did numerous loads of laundry, vacuumed, dusted, rearranged the living room furniture, and finally, began carefully and methodically placing the Christmas decorations. Their placement must be precise since I only get to enjoy them for one month out of the year. My policy...Christmas decorations go up the weekend AFTER Thanksgiving and come down New Year's Day. I have a vendetta against those I consider cretins who ignore the symbolism and purpose of Thanksgiving by jumping right in with their Christmas decorations right after Halloween. Though it's not in the true spirit of Christmas, I hope all their bulbs burn out. Maybe next time they will learn to wait. But, I digress...

I'm tired...Tired with a capital "T." Lugging around the extra weight of this fracture boot and the constant throbbing in my heel and toes is taking its toll on me. I don't know how to do things in increments. I think everything must be done at once. I know it's a problem...I just can't help myself. I can't make myself sit down and take it easy when there are things to be done. I think I am paying for it in that I'm not sure that my foot is healing...at all. However, the tree is up (though not yet decorated), the house is decorated, most of my Christmas gifts have been purchased (though not wrapped), the house is clean, the laundry is done...maybe, just maybe, I will sit down tomorrow night and begin my yearly tradition of watching all my Christmas DVDs between December 1st and Christmas! Of course, that will be after work, after dinner is fixed and the kitchen cleaned...

Merry Christmas everyone! I am reminding you, as I remind myself, to take time to enjoy the season and reflect on the reason that we celebrate.

No comments: