Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Week of Ups and Downs

The past week has been a week of unusual days for me. Normally, I work most days...7:30 a - 3:30 p. Monday was Carter's birthday, so I took off work and Nana and Popaw joined Mommy and Carter for a full day of riding the McKinney Avenue Trolley and visiting an indoor safari park. Carter's current passion is trains, thus the trolley ride. This trolley is fascinating. An original trolley car restored to peak condition so that it can shuttle tourists, and birthday boys, back and forth around downtown Dallas. We availed ourselves of that trip NUMEROUS times...both directions...while we munched on our sandwiches, chips,and Carter's birthday cupcake covered in a lovely blue icing. Other riders were entertained by Carter's cuteness and fascination. Of course, we could have already told them how precious he is, but some things have to be discovered for themselves. At any rate, we proceeded from the trolley to an indoor safari park where Carter was able to ride both an elephant and a dinosaur. Lest you get scared by our casual attitude, let me assure you that they were not "real." Well, they are real mechanical animals, but they don't eat and breathe and...you know. Carter also played on the train tables, climbed in the jungle gym area, played in the ball pits, slides, etc. He had a full day of romping and stomping and fun! So, in fact, did we.

Tuesday I was available for subbing, but only in the morning. I had an appointment with a friend that afternoon. I ended up not subbing, but instead, a friend called for a wine tasting so I had an opportunity to sit and visit with a friend that I haven't really talked to in years. Actually, the "friend" is Trenton's other grandmother. We had crossed paths at a recent soccer game and I had shared my winery story. I invited her out for a tasting but didn't think she would take me up on it. After all, our children were married to each other and then divorced. Both have gone on to other, and better lives. Why do we assume that because our children can't be married that we can't be friends? As it turns out, Laurie and I had a long visit about what our relationship can be. We both have a grandson in common that is the number one priority. There is absolutely no reason we can't nurture a relationship that will foster confidence in him. Great visit and she took home her Thanksgiving wine selection.

Wednesday, I worked. Big mistake. I had begun coughing a bit on Monday. A bit more on Tuesday. Wednesday morning it was quite a bit and got worse throughout the day. By the time I got off work at 2pm on Wednesday I was coughing so badly that I was throwing up. I went home and straight to bed. Missed Trenton's last soccer game of the season. Slept, except for coughing fits, until 5:30 a.m. when I took my temperature and checked in at 102.9. I slept fitfully until 7:30 when I could call and make a doctor's appointment. Dr. Jeff diagnosed me with chronic bronchitis. Four prescriptions later I left his office and headed to the pharmacy. After that...home, pills, sleep. Missed a retirement party that I was scheduled to go to. Spent the evening sleeping, reading a bit, sleeping, checking Facebook, sleeping,...I think you get the idea.

Friday morning I got up, got dressed and headed to Plano. I had promised Kristin that I would help her with the preparations for Carter's party the following day. Even though I was coughing and barking like a seal, we had a great day together. The party theme was Dr. Seuss and I'm sure all the foods had really cool Dr. Seuss names, but I only knew them by what we were doing. We made Rice Krispie Treats, green eggs and ham, cake ball ice cream cones, crackle, and more. I left at 4:00 to meet friends for dinner in the Harbor at 5pm. I haven't mentioned that my taste buds are in rebellion and I'm not really feeling hunger right now...surprising since two of my prescriptions are steroids. I ordered queso and had a couple of beers. I took most of my queso home. Once home, I immediately fell asleep in my recliner. I just don't have very much energy. Guess I'm coughing it all away. Whatever.

Saturday morning we got up and got dressed and got in the RV. We took it out to Plano to the party site. Our son-in-law's boss had turned over the parking lot of the business for Carter's party. Kristin had a choo-choo train (a real trackless train) that would be giving train rides to any and all who wanted them...as many rides as they wanted. I'm sure that Carter and Popaw were in the double digits in their number of rides. I only rode twice. After helping set up I spent most of the party in the RV...the designated restroom and one of the only places to get in out of the gale force winds blowing through. With my bronchitis, I had been advised by Dr. Jeff to stay in over the weekend because of the winds, the pollen, etc. Two hours of party time and clean up commenced. I helped get that taken care of so that Scott's boss wouldn't regret letting us use the parking lot, and then we sat in the RV and talked for a bit. The Durbs left, we came home and guess what??? I fell asleep in the chair.

Cat in the Hat Rainbow Cake in a Jar

Rainbow Jello along with Cat in the Hat Crackle

One Fish, Two Fish...Red Fish, Blue Fish

Chalk Art Station

Bubble Station

Riding Before the Guests Arrive

Train Station

Bounce House

Trenton & Carter waiting for a ride

Designated Restroom

Birthday Cake

Thing Two Fruit Salad

Green Eggs and Ham

The caboose

One last ride and choo-choo says, "bye-bye"


My coughing increased during the night and today has been pretty rough. My coughing is out of control...but I'm attributing that to the wind and pollens of Saturday. What matters most is that Carter's birthday party was a huge success, Kristin and I had a good time getting everything accomplished (though she did, by far, most of the work ahead of time and I helped with the things that couldn't be done ahead of time), the kids had a blast at the party and there's a six month reprieve before it has to be done again for Trenton's birthday!!

So, while there were some sucky things about the week, there were also some moments for the "highlight reel." This week, hopefully, will be even better. After all...it's my birthday week.

No comments: