Friday, March 13, 2009

Tampons...the only thing that should be in a tube

I had a CAT scan this morning. My first. I pray it will be my last.

I knew what to expect going in to the test. You lie on a table, they slip you into a giant tortilla, you drift gently to sleep due to the inactivity and boredom and then you're done. Only problem is...it didn't quite go like I expected. Who knew that once they rolled me into the tube (only as far as my waist) that I would suddenly develop a severe case of claustrophobia and freak out?? Did the technicians know what they were doing?? What were those fine print warnings about not having the test done if you're on certain meds?? Why didn't anyone ask what meds I'm on?? What if this thing blows up with me inside?? What if I get stuck?? Why do I have this sudden urge to scream, cry, jump off the table and run away?? When will this end??

In truth, the test only took about 3 minutes. Try holding your breath for 3 minutes and you'll realize just how long that is! It was, without a doubt, the longest 3 minutes of my life. Sorta like being buried alive...I guess. Not that I've ever been buried alive...but you get the point. In a nutshell...I did not have a good time and no, thank you, I don't wish to EVER do it again!

2 comments:

KRiSTiN said...

how is it that i've had so many catscans that i expect it every time i see a doctor and this is your first? weird.

i think the worst part is the gown. i always fear some sort of camera that can see up my gown... but i can't cross my legs because of the sit still rules. disturbing.

Carol said...

Thank God I didn't have to do the stupid hospital gown since they were only scanning my head. Although, the gown would have kept me from running out of the building and down the highway.