Friday, August 29, 2008

What the hell...?

Okay....finally I get it. I finally feel "retired." And guess what. It feels WEIRD! It finally hit me when school started this week and I knew that everyone was back at work. Summer was officially over....and I had no place to go. Make no mistake...I LOVE being able to work out at 10:00 a.m. or take a shower at 11:30 a.m. or sleep until 9:30 or stay up until 2:00 a.m. reading if I want to...but I have never had this life of luxury before. I went to work when I was sixteen years old and I have NEVER been unemployed since! Okay, there was one day (actually about 15 hours) when I left Lancaster before I got the call from Scurry. Other than that....always had a job. And a paycheck. Now I get this mysterious (and tiny) money appearing magically in my checking account at the end of the month. It just doesn't feel right. And to be honest....I'm not too sure I like it. I feel like I don't have a purpose. I can still fill up a day with activity but it doesn't seem to matter whether I do something today or tomorrow or next week. Like I said...weird. So, guess what I did this week. I made appointments with two neighboring school districts to interview for substitute teaching positions. I know, I know. I thought that once I walked away I would feel so liberated that I would never set foot in a school again. But.......I think it's like a virus. Once it gets in your bloodstream it's just kind of difficult to get rid of it! At least this way I can choose not to work if I stayed up till 2:00 a.m. the night before reading!

1 comment:

KRiSTiN said...

you could nanny the boys and earn some money while spending time with your grandsons...