Monday, July 7, 2008

Oh, what a night....

What a delightful night July 4th turned out to be! The entire week had been busy with appointments and things to do and I was looking forward to a relaxing evening. The evening before my good friend Tammy had come over and attended the Petty Theft concert with us. We had such a good time catching up with each other, having a picnic dinner, and then relaxing to the sounds of a Tom Petty cover band. I, of course, took about 100 pictures of the band and sent them to the lead singer but that's a story I'll expand on at another time. Going home I put away the picnic supplies and went to bed knowing that I had no real chores that needed to be done the next day.

I knew from a conversation earlier in the week that Ryan and Richard would be coming out to our house to set off fireworks. I made a quick trip to the grocery store to get the supplies needed to grill hamburgers. Late in the afternoon Friday I got a call from Kristin saying that she, Trenton and Scott would be coming out to set off fireworks as well. Could it be??? Was I really going to get to enjoy my whole family together??

Sure enough, Friday evening came and Ryan and Richard were the first to arrive. Shortly after that Ron got home from work and the four of us set down to a game table to play Rummy. What fun!! Of course, Richard must have the luck of the Irish because he won....again. Soon Kristin and family arrived and thus began an evening of eating, playing board games, riding around on the tractor (Trenton and Popaw) and setting off fireworks....then inside for more board games! We played games until 1:00 a.m. and had the best time.

Trenton is old enough now to understand fireworks and it was delightful to see his little face light up with joy. Of course, the big kids enjoyed their fireworks, too. I was reminded of when my children were little and this same scene was played out each July 4th. Gave me a warm glow.

I'm reminded, too, that next year (for which we are already making plans) there will be another family member joining us for the fun and festivities. He was here this year, in utero, and I understand that he was none too happy about the pops and bangs that were taking place outside his little nest. It will be a different story next year, but I'm not too sure he'll be any more happy about it then...

All I can say about Friday evening is that it will stand out in my memory for a long time to come. It was such fun and was such a joy to just relax and play with my family.

Thank you, God, for family, friends and beautiful times with the people I love. I am blessed!

2 comments:

KRiSTiN said...

scott knows you have a blog now. he says now that YOU know that, you can't write anything bad about him. i say, all the more reason.

we had fun, too.

Carol said...

As if there could BE anything bad to write about him. He's the perfect son-in-law.(Insert smiley face here). Glad ya'll had fun...can't wait till next year!